The Haiti Rebuild Project is a cooperative effort of the Florida Baptist Convention (FBC), North American Mission Board, and the Confraternite Missionaire Baptiste d’Haiti(CMBH). Through its partnership with the CMBH, the FBC is working with Haitian pastors to provide permanent cement block homes for Haitian families.
For approximately $2000, a home for a family displaced by the 2010 earthquake can be built by purchasing all materials in country and exclusively employing Haitian workers. To date the project has completed 27 homes with another 34 currently in progress.
Haiti Rebuild Project Goals
- Provide 2000 homes for families buy the end of 2011, with a long term goal of building 6000 homes in ten different communities throughout the earthquake zone.
- Train and hire Haitian men from local churches to not only provide them with a home, but with lifelong job skills.
- To create evangelistic opportunities for CMBH churches to share the gospel.
- Provide encouragement to the pastors and church members by helping them repair and rebuild their places of worship.
- Provide funds to help the 225 damaged churches purchase construction materials
- Provide SBC churches and associations an opportunity to partner with CMBH churches through prayer and repair or rebuild assistance.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- PRAY – that the Lord will continue to open doors for home locations and provide safety for our workers and volunteers.
- GIVE – Consider challenging your church, Sunday School class, or family to raise funds to provide a home.
- GO – We need Skilled block masons and carpenters who would be willing to serve 2 to 3 weeks to train Haitian workers. We also need teams to go for a week and do land preparation and demolition for homes and churches. Ministry teams are also needed.
The projects are divided into three main areas: Home Rebuild, Church Rebuild, and Ministry.
We are open to using US mission teams that want to come and help install roofs or hang doors, however, that is not our priority. For what it cost to house and feed your team we could build many houses.
What we do need is teams of 2 men with construction background and teaching abilities to come for a 3 week period to serve as volunteer construction assistants. If you are interested, the contact is Eddie Blackmon <email@example.com for more details.
Over 220 CMBH churches were impacted by the quake. US churches and associations are needed to come and partner with a church or churches to help them rebuild. You can provide funds, send teamsto help with construction, or a combination of both. If interested contact Eddie Blackmon firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Partnership Missions Department of the FBC has assumed coordination of all ministry projects with the CMBH. This includes evangelism, discipleship, pastoral training, medical and dental teams, children’s ministries, and teacher training. Opportunities are available throughout the entire country and not limited to the quake area.
COSTS: Teams are responsible for flighta and in-country costs which are approximately $100 per person per day (includes housing, 2 meals, transportation, translation, and security).